Pages

The Story Of Willis Raburu And His Rise To Success

By Dorcas Karuana,of careerpointkenya
He is the man behind the much heated political satire which keeps people on the edges of their seats during the weekend. He knows laughter is the best medicine, and gives a dose that creates humour in it which makes the sick in hospitals laugh and spouses who were not in good terms laugh together.

Willis Raburu, is the creative man whose husky voice accompanies Truthmeter which airs on Citizen Weekend and leaves most Kenyans in giggles as Willis gives a light touch of what our politicians said and did during the week.  His command of English is maybe what gunners him the adoration of most ladies and respect from most men.

He shares his success story of the entry into the media, the lessons he has learnt, his rise to be a brand in Truthmeter, the challenges he has faced and his future career plans.

Q1. Who is Willis Raburu?
Willis is a humble born again Christian who was born in Kano, Nyando District in Kisumu County. I am the 3rd born and last boy in a family of four. I attended school in Aga Khan Primary and Secondary then later joined Moi University where I studied Bachelor of Information Science- Media. A passionate journalist.

Q2 When you were a very young boy what were your ambitions? Have you realized them?
Yes, as a young boy I wanted a career in the media and in particular reporting. This was my passion as I read the newspaper for my mother from the first page to the last while imitating people like Njoroge Mwaura. I also liked Julie Gichuru’s eloquence and presentation of news.

Q3. How did you get into the media?
First, I joined K24 as an intern while in third year at Moi University. I was in the newsroom and covered stories which went without my voice over. However, I was determined to voice but my then boss would say that my voice was unsuitable to go on air. I did not give up; I did it time and again till he once told me he Willis Raburu, News Anchor Citizen TV Kenya.

When I went back to Moi University I volunteered at the University’s Radio station which many students looked down upon. Mr, Gilbert Langat, the then producer helped me a lot to improve my voice. I read news and hosted a show called Friday Afternoon Show.
Q4. When you were in class 3 years ago, did you think you will ever work for Citizen?
No, but I knew I would be in the media. In year 2010, a then senior reporter informed us that citizen was recruiting interns. My friend and I gave our CVs to him and we got scheduled for an interview. Unfortunately, this was the day we were sitting for our final paper in Moi University, so we missed the interview.

However we were persistence and kept pushing the News Head to give us a chance. One day, our persistence paid; we got an interview call at around 5.30 while in Eldoret and had to be in Nairobi at 8.00pm. This was the beginning of us being interns at Citizen which later turned to a job.

Q5. There are so many media graduates who are being churned out of colleges & Universities and yet there are less than 15 media stations. What is your take on this?
Media is not about TV and radio stations it is about passion and talent. There is also a lot you can do with a media degree/ diploma like communications, writing, editing, website management, ocial media, public relations not to mention NGO’s.

Q6. You have been in the media for less than 3 years and you are already a brand. How did you do that?
Good work ethic. My father taught me this while he worked as a Provincial Commissioner. I believe in diligence, team work and excellence. In Citizen, the team has helped me grow; for instance, Abdi Osman taught me the hamburger theory, where you start the story with back ground, then give the meat and end with what is expected. Franklin Wambugu, Mercy Oburu and Peter Opondo have been of great help among others.

Excellence. My boss Farida Karoney, the Editorial director, taught me that success is not an event; it’s a way of life. People should know me not because I work for citizen but because of the way I use the platform given to me. I let my work should speak for me.

Working smart. To go where nobody has gone, you need to do what nobody else has done. In Citizen, interns are not allowed to voice for their stories, however I did my first voice to camera within the second week as an intern. Thanks to my camera man Dennis Ocheing who encouraged me to do it and it did wonders.

Q 7. Last year you won three awards for Citizen TV. What were they about and what inspired you to participate?
Yes, I won awards on feature stories; ‘Road accidents’, ‘The Deadly Waters’ and a story from Rwanda; ‘ A Journey of Resilience.’ My inspiration is to cover human interest stories that on  touch people’s lives. Like in Rwanda, Everyone had a laptop even in schools and I wanted Kenya to be an ihub.

Q8. How did you come up with Truth Meter?
After the Ocampo six went to Hague for the first time, they had a major rally at Uhuru park and I did a story on “The Lies at Uhuru Park.” The MD, Wachira Waruru, suggested that this can be done weekly.  The Editorial Director inspired and motivated me in planning and executing the idea. Later, I was allowed to be creative and this made me include music and animation.

Q9. What is your message in Truth Meter?
This is a political Satire with relevant hot issues of the week, aiming to educate Kenyans in a light way. After all the laughter, the last paragraph always has a message to people. In fact laughter is the best medicine and people in hospital beds have called saying they had a surgery but despite all the pain, truth meter made them laugh.

Q10. How do you get your ideas for a week? Do you ever run out of ideas?
Teamwork helps me a lot. I have my own ideas and then incorporate those of my colleagues at work.

Q11. What challenges have you faced in your career so far?
Truthmeter received negative feedback from fans especially when it started and some even started a face book page of ‘No Truth in Truthmeter.’ However, pressure applied to coal becomes diamond; I took the critics positively and this helped me better it.
Apart from being sued for copyright issues, some politicians have threatened me with warning letters to the Media Council of Kenya.

Q12. There were rumours on social media that you are going to NTV when it experienced a mass exodus. Can you confirm this? And if true why didn’t you go?
Yes, NTV had approached me but I wasn’t ready for a move since I was in a point of specializing in my career and felt that a move would disrupt me. Also, I had not exhausted all that Citizen has to offer; enough room for everyone to shine, mentors and a good team.

Q13. If you were to be poached, what would you look for?
I would look for growth, visibility, opportunities like freedom to cover stories and what I am doing to myself.

Q14. Do you ever plan to leave Citizen TV in the future? What would make you leave the Station?
No Comment.

Q15. You are a celebrity how do you balance this in your life? How do you manage female fans?
I know who I am and what I want. As I joined the media, I expected the fame and was ready for it so I have developed principles to deal with it. As such I believe that what I cannot do in the light but in darkness is not good for me. Some love the Willis on Citizen TV but not Willis the person so if am not in Citizen then the person will disappear.

Q16. What are the future plans for your career?
I want to be an anchor and host of a talk show in the next five years, and probably start a media station in the future.

Q17. What inspires you?
I am inspired by the grace of God, His love and favour upon me. Also, my dad inspires me on how he brought us up, work ethic, saying am sorry and how to treat a lady just like he is with my mother.

Bishop Allan Kiuna also inspires me as my life coach, as well as my Truth Meter fans who comment on the updates and have like its fan page with over 10, 000 likes.

Q18 . Who is your role model in the media?
Steven Sucker of BBC on how he conducts interviews. Anderson Cooper on his presentation and ability to attack issues as well as sustain people’s attention to the end.

Q19. What is your advice to the young upcoming journalists?
Apart from your studies you need to go out and do something; find a way to make things happen, be aggressive, do not just apply for jobs, make calls and network a lot. To survive in the media, you need to have a talent and passion rather than just papers. Do not be in the media because of fame or hype.

Q20. What are your hobbies?
Rapping, swimming, Emceeing, motivational speaking, watching series and making fun.

4 comments:

  1. Willis U r great... May God rise U to greater heights. I'm your major fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said i feel encouraged and motivated

    ReplyDelete